In this two-part course we will learn how to use Rhino and Grasshopper to translate a design idea into a 3D model that can be fabricated in the Woodwork Studio. This course revolves around designing different items of furniture that can be crafted with manual tools, cut on the laser cutter for small-scale prototyping, or cut on the CNC at full scale.
We will focus on several learning objectives, including how to:
- Construct a model in Rhino 3D
- Set-up and operate a basic parametric Grasshopper script
- Optimize the model for CNC cutting
- Troubleshoot typical modelling errors that may occur
- Export from Rhino for:
- Scaled model making with the laser cutter
- Manual fabrication with printed drawings
- CNC fabrication with Fusion 360
Participants are encouraged to follow along with the session on their own computer. If necessary, a 90-day trial license for Rhino/Grasshopper can be obtained from: https://www.rhino3d.com/download.
4-hour Course Price:
Facilitator: Phil Fors
Phil's passion for art, design and fabrication emerged at the age of 12 when he started trying to build guitars. His interest in design and fabrication led him to study Architectural Science at Ryerson University, where he graduated in 2018 with a specialization in Building Science. He has since become interested in more advanced technologies such as parametric modelling and CNC machining. Phil has always been focused on innovating the process of how we bring an idea into the built world. His latest obsession is working out how he can use parametric systems to help make realistic 3D digital rendered animations.
- Rhino Tutorials from McNeel: https://www.rhino3d.com/tutorials
- Rhino Command List: http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/commandlist/command_list.htm
- Rhinoceros User Forums: https://discourse.mcneel.com
- Simply Rhino - Rhino3d Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRBjWaXSeqTP89FWVv26QxA/videos
- Grasshopper Primer: http://grasshopperprimer.com/en/
- Grasshopper Tutorials from McNeel: https://www.rhino3d.com/tutorials
- Grasshopper Component Reference: https://rhino.github.io/
- Rhinoceros/Grasshopper User Forums: https://discourse.mcneel.com/c/grasshopper
- Original Grasshopper Forum (Legacy Forums): https://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum
- Food4Rhino (tons of add-ons for GH and Plug-ins for Rhino): https://www.food4rhino.com/
- Youtube - Nick Senske: https://www.youtube.com/user/nsenske
Photographs and/or videos will be taken at this event. By taking part in this event you grant the event organizers full rights to use the images resulting from the photography/video filming, and any reproductions or adaptations of the images for fundraising, publicity or other purposes to help achieve the group’s aims. This might include (but is not limited to), the right to use them in their printed and online publicity, social media, press releases and funding applications. If you do not wish to be photographed please inform an event organizer.